南京夜网_南京桑拿网_南京夜生活论坛

Powered by Shufapaimai!

The pubs that shaped Ballarat; then and now

Long demolished: The Foundry Hotel in Drummond Street South. The site is now a private house pushed further back from the road.In its heyday the pub culture of Ballarat was indeed something to behold. Until just prior to 1870 over 500 hotels served the town and environs.
Nanjing Night Net

Crowds of men –and women –milled around the streets outside establishments, in states ranging from the slightly inebriated to the catatonic, and everything in between.

Between 1870 and about 1915 the temperance movement and the Licences Reduction Board tried to install the pleasures of sobriety into the population of the city, and the number of licenced premises plummeted.

CHECK OUT OUR THEN AND NOW GALLERY OF BALLARAT PUBS BELOW

The pubs that shaped Ballarat; then and now 1853 – Bath’s Hotel (source: State Library Victoria).

Now – Craig’s Royal Hotel.

1855 – Golden Fleece Hotel (source: Ballarat Historical Society).

Now – Baird & McGregor/Quality Inn.

1856 – George Inn (source: Ballarat Historical Society).

Now – George Hotel.

1859 – North Grant Family Hotel (source: State Library Victoria).

Now – Skin, Ski & Surf.

1861 – Court House Hotel, Smythesdale (source: State Library Victoria).

Now – Court House Hotel, Smythesdale.

1861 – Jackson’s Hotel (source: State Library Victoria).

Now – The Sporting Globe.

1861 – North Star, Soldiers Hill (source: State Library Victoria).

Now – Seymours on Lydiard.

1861 – Rainbow Hotel (source: State Library Victoria).

Now – Mitchell Harris Wines.

1865-1882 – Globe Hotel, Sebastopol (source: Jo Fryer).

Now – The Globe Hotel.

1866 – Craigs Hotel (source: State Library Victoria).

Now – Craig’s Royal Hotel.

1866 – National Hotel, Albert Street, Sebastopol (source: State Library Victoria).

Now – various shops, Sebastopol.

1866 – Dimmock’s Exchange Hotel (source: State Library Victoria).

Now – X on A Hotel, Sebastopol.

1868 – Craigs Royal Hotel Taken During Princes Alfred Visit (source: State Library Victoria).

Now – Craig’s Royal Hotel.

1872 – Royal Don Hotel (source: Ballarat Historical Society).

Now – Sing to Inspire Ballarat.

1873 – Royal Oak Hotel.

Now – Royal Oak Hotel.

1873 – Bucks Head Hotel.

Now – Priceline Pharmacy.

1886 – Foundry Hotel, Drummond Street South (source: State Library Victoria).

Now – Private home.

1897 – Edinburgh Castle Hotel (source: Ballarat Historical Society).

now – The Printer Wizards.

1900 – North Star Hotel Ballarat (source: State Library Victoria).

Now – Seymours on Lydiard.

1907 -Craig’s Royal Hotel (source: State Library Victoria).

Now – Craig’s Royal Hotel.

1912 – Lester’s Hotel (source: State Library Victoria).

Now – Various restaurants, Sturt Street.

1955 – Buck’s Head Hotel (source: Ballarat Historic Society).

Now – Priceline Pharmacy.

1961-1972 – George Hotel Lydiard Street South Ballarat (source: State Library Victoria).

Now – The George Hotel.

1963 – Lake View Hotel Ballarat (source: State Library Victoria).

Now – Lake View Hotel.

1965 – Golden City Hotel (source: State Library Victoria).

Now – Golden City Ballarat.

1965 – North Star Hotel (source: State Library Victoria).

Now – Seymours on Lydiard.

1969 – Town Hall Hotel, Armstrong Street (source: State Library Victoria).

Now – Central Square Ballarat.

TweetFacebookThe Courier’s Pat Nolan and Lachlan Bence have put together an online gallery of Ballarat’s pubs past and present, with historic images of long-gone punters outside the bars they frequentedcontrasted against what stands on the same place today.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Comments are currently closed.